Summer of Sport
Summer of Sport
The Summer of Sport campaign will take place from Friday 9 July to Sunday 5 September and is delivered in partnership between Make It York, THORS’s Tipi and First Bus.
The campaign includes a series of fun summer activities to animate the city centre and ensure all residents and visitors have a great #LoveYork experience over the summer months.
Coordinated by our team at Make It York and THOR’s Tipi alongside a range of local Visit York member businesses, plans include:
- Interactive sporty sculptures trail - Six interactive sports-themed sculptures will be installed across the city centre from 9th July until 5th September – offering fun photo opportunities for residents and visitors to get involved in. Trail sponsors include York BID, Middletons Hotel, First Bus York and St Peter’s York.
- THOR’s Tipi bar and street food village on Parliament Street - from 21st June until 5th September a pop-up THOR’s Tipi bar will offer a range of tropical-inspired drinks, cosy evenings around fire pits, and weekend DJ sets. THOR’s will be joined on Parliament Street by a variety of York-based food vendors – including Yuzu Street Food, KREP, Shambles Kitchen, Sloppy’s Burgers, Stam & Maria and The York Roast Co.
- Outdoor ping-pong tables - sponsored by JORVIK Viking Centre, the tables are located on Parliament Street and residents and visitors can use them for free.
- Free yoga classes - taking place in THOR’s tipi each week in partnership with Emperor’s Gym, free yoga classes will kick off from 14th July and will run each Wednesday (07.30AM -08.30AM) and Friday (08.30AM - 09.30AM) with pre-booking required by email to email@example.com.
- Urban running routes - for runners, two urban running routes have been devised in partnership with York Knavesmire Harriers – taking in all the best city centre sights over a 5K and 10K route.
- 15,000 copies of a brand new Summer of Sport leaflet and map are available both as digital and hard copy versions for members to stock and distribute to visitors and residents. Leaflets can be picked up from the Visitor Information Centre on 1 Museum Street (email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve).
- Love York Summer Guide is also available for free from the Visitor Information Centre and online.
- A new summer website hub for visityork.org is showcasing all the summer activities, events and offers.
- The campaign promotion on social media using hashtags #SummerInYork and #WeAreAllWinners and includes paid social media promotion across the summer months.
- Digital marketing promotion through weekly and monthly consumer e-newsletters, including 7 Days.
- PR activity, including proactive press visits activity and a series of press releases to be shared throughout summer targeting local and regional media.
- Summer days out campaign continues to be on the forefront of our promotional activity - working with York Park & Ride to drive residents and visitors to travel to York city centre.
- Preparations are underway to celebrate Yorkshire Day on the 1st of August. Find out more here.
How to get involved?
Activity will be going on throughout the whole summer and we would like our members to get involved to promote our wonderful city and your business.
- Share your activities and offers on social media using hashtags #SummerInYork and tag @VisitYork. Download the assets for Twitter, Instagram and Instagram Story to use across your own channels.
- For food & drink members - let us know if you have sporty menu items like a special 'RLWC21 cocktail' or an 'Olympic champion' dish.
- Sports on big screens - if your business has TVs showing Euros, Olympics, Wimbledon or any other sports events this summer, please let us know.
- Sporty activities - let us know if you are hosting any walking tours, running routes, yoga or pilates classes in the city centre.
If you have any of the above activities and/or products, please let us know by filling out this form.
For any questions, please contact email@example.com