Discover one of the world’s most magnificent cathedrals, a masterpiece in stained glass and stone and a sacred space which has been at the centre of Christianity in the north of England since the 7th century.
The Minster was built for the glory of God and this is reflected in every aspect of this ancient building, from the exquisite handcrafted stone through to the unrivalled collection of medieval stained glass.
Marvel at the Great East Window, the largest single expanse of medieval stained glass in the country, take a guided tour filled with stories from the building’s 800-year history or visit the Undercroft Museum to explore the remains of a Roman barracks and the cathedral’s links to Viking York.
Climb the 275 steps of the Central Tower for panoramic views of the city or take a Hidden Minster Tour to discover spaces normally closed to public access. Additional charges apply.
Young adventurers can collect a Little Explorer Backpack filled with gadgets to help them explore the Minster including binoculars, a torch and a compass, or follow a trail or treasure hunt around the cathedral. New for 2022 – Dragon Quest Trail. Help legendary knight St George find all the dragons in York Minster by following clues to discover more about these fascinating fiery creatures. Trails and backpacks are free with general admission.
The Minster remains a thriving church and everyone is invited to join our daily services, including choral Evensong sung Tuesday to Sunday during term time by the Choir of York Minster, visit to pray or light a candle or simply spend time absorbing the atmosphere of the cathedral.
Exhibitions for 2022
Light, Glass and Stone: Conserving the St Cuthbert Window – runs until 2024
See at close range medieval stained glass from the St Cuthbert Window, one of the largest surviving narrative windows in the world, and learn about the Minster’s major project to conserve the window and the stonework of the South Quire Transept. Newly conserved stained glass panels added for spring 2022.
Mon – Sat: 9.30am – 4.00pm (last admission 3.30pm)
Sun: 12.45pm – 3.15pm (last admission at 2.45pm).
Please note these opening hours are subject to change. Please check our website for the most up to date information.
- Disabled toilets
- Facilities for hearing impaired
- Facilities for visually impaired
- Wheelchairs available
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- Credit cards accepted (with charge)
- Children welcome
- 2m distancing in place
- Advance booking essential
- Capacity limit
- Clear signage
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Face masks required for staff in public areas
- Floors clearly marked for social distancing
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- Hygiene screens in place
- Interactive displays closed
- One way system
- Online booking only
- Open now
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Socially distanced spaced seating
- Staff required to regularly wash hands
- Education/study area
- Facilities for educational visits
- Facilities for corporate hospitality
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
- Gift shop
- Public toilets
- Smoking not allowed
- Regional Tourist Board Member
- Groups welcome