Discover one of the world’s most magnificent cathedrals, a masterpiece in stained glass and stone and a sacred space which has been at the centre of Christianity in the north of England since the 7th century.
The Minster was built for the glory of God and this is reflected in every aspect of this ancient building, from the exquisite handcrafted stone through to the unrivalled collection of medieval stained glass.
Marvel at the Great East Window, the largest single expanse of medieval stained glass in the country, explore the 800-year history of the building or hear the Grand Organ, which returned to regular use during worship in spring 2021 following a £2m, once-in-a-century refurbishment.
New for 2021 - Light, Glass and Stone: Conserving the St Cuthbert Window.
A new exhibition exploring the cathedral’s medieval St Cuthbert Window, one of the largest surviving narrative windows in the world, and the Minster’s new major conservation project for the next five years. Free as part of general admission.
We invite you to discover this sacred place which has attracted people from across the globe for more than 1,000 years.
Please note all sightseeing visits must be booked in advance online at www.yorkminster.org.
Mon - Sat: 9.30am - 3.45pm
Sun: 12.30pm – 3.15pm
Please note these opening hours are subject to change. Please check our website for the most up to date information.
- Disabled toilets
- Facilities for hearing impaired
- Facilities for visually impaired
- Wheelchairs available
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- Credit cards accepted (with charge)
- Children welcome
- 2m distancing in place
- Advance booking essential
- Capacity limit
- Clear signage
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Face masks required for staff in public areas
- Floors clearly marked for social distancing
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- Hygiene screens in place
- Interactive displays closed
- One way system
- Online booking only
- Open now
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Socially distanced spaced seating
- Staff required to regularly wash hands
- Education/study area
- Facilities for educational visits
- Facilities for corporate hospitality
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
- Gift shop
- Public toilets
- Smoking not allowed
- Regional Tourist Board Member
- Groups welcome