China is estimated to be York’s 4th largest overseas market – up from 19th place 10 years ago. The growth potential for this market is huge. Visits to the UK have doubled in the last ten years and it is hoped the numbers will triple again by 2020.
Gearing up to ensure York is ready to welcome Chinese visitors, Visit York is now one of 300+ UK businesses to be awarded the GREAT China Welcome Charter from VisitBritain – www.greatchinawelcome.com
3rd edition of the York Chinese Visitor Guide -35,000 copies produced in May 2016 and distributed via incoming airlines from China, in Chinese Visa Centres, stocked at UK airport lounges and key hotels in London, Manchester, Leeds and York.
Hainan route launches
Hainan Airlines inaugural flight direct from Beijing to Manchester took place on 10 June and was followed by a Hainan VIP staff visit to key destinations including York. We will be looking to work in close partnership with Marketing Manchester for the forthcoming Chinese marketing drive. Top operator CAISSA also brought in over 20 clients to York on the inaugural flight.
VisitBritain & Marketing Manchester fam trip (Oct 2016)
York & Helmsley benefitted from a recent travel trade group of tour operators, this time taking in afternoon tea on the Countess of York at the National Railway Museum and travelling to see the National Centre for Birds of Prey at Helmsley. All topped off with fish & chips at Scotts of Helmsley and a fantastic overnight stay at the Royal York hotel.
Marketing Activity targeting the Chinese market
Our programme of China marketing activity includes:
- NEW for 2016: Destination partner for Marketing Manchester’s Chinese campaign working with Hainan. Includes a page in a new A5 Mandarin Guide, placement on Chinese microsite, trade and press pack information and posts on Manchester’s Chinese social channels. Representation at key events happening as part of this programme.
- Continued promotion of our video with Britainisgreat.com for the Chinese market with a Mandarin speaking presenter. A new push to happen during Golden Week via Britainisgreat.com (500,000 views to date)
- Series of welcome training courses for York members to participate in (Run by Capela China)
- Investment in a programme to build up Mandarin speaking guides available in York. One guide is now qualified via the York Guild of Tour Guides.
- Continue to build up our Chinese operator database for targeting (100 operators to date)
CAISSA, U-tour, GZL, Guangdong Nanhu Int, China Bamboo Garden and China Holidays now featuring York in their regular programmes.
OTAs – featuring York and York Pass include CTrip, UKubang, Linktour and Tuniu.
Destination Britain China event (Shanghai 21-23 November 2016)
York and Castle Howard will attend VisitBritain sales mission this year to meet over 90 buyers from China.
NEW Chinese itinerary for forthcoming trade mission.
Dedicated translated Chinese trade toolkit – key partner content loaded up onto USB sticks and given to all our one to one appointments
Destination Britain China directory – DPS spread in agent / operator sales guide
Visit York has set up accounts for Weibo (over 7,000 followers) and Wechat (1,600 followers): the preferred methods of communication in China with half a billion users signed up to these channels.
Creation of a new Mandarin landing page on visityork.cn to host all of our Mandarin content and create a portal page for Chinese visitors. Key partner information to be hosted on these pages in Mandarin.
For more information on Visit York’s China marketing activity or to enquire how you can get involved, contact Michelle Brown, Marketing Manager (Leisure) on 01904 554456 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Gold Award winner in the ‘Best Performance’ category at the China Tourist Welcome (CTW) Awards 2015
Find out more >