International Campaign - China Focus
China is estimated to be York’s 2nd largest overseas market. The growth potential for this market is huge. Visits to the UK have doubled in the last ten years and it is hoped the numbers will triple again by 2020.
Gearing up to ensure York is ready to welcome Chinese visitors, Visit York is now one of 300+ UK businesses to be awarded the GREAT China Welcome Charter from VisitBritain – www.greatchinawelcome.com
New 4th edition of the York Chinese Visitor Guide to be produced in Spring 2017, together with a new UK Visitor Guide (100,00 copies) and distributed via incoming airlines from China, in Chinese Visa Centres, stocked at UK airport lounges and key hotels in London, Manchester, Leeds and York.
The UK Chinese Visitor Guide and the York Chinese Visitor Guide - will be printing 100,000 copies of the UK guide, plus 5,000 copies of the York city guide for 2017.
Click here for more details and the media pack.
Marketing Activity targeting the Chinese market
Our programme of China marketing activity includes:
- NEW for 2016/2017: Destination partner for Marketing Manchester’s Chinese campaign working with Hainan. Includes a page in a new A5 Mandarin Guide, placement on Chinese microsite, trade and press pack information and posts on Manchester’s Chinese social channels. Representation at key events happening as part of this programme.
- Continued promotion of our video with Britainisgreat.com for the Chinese market with a Mandarin speaking presenter. A new push to happen during Golden Week via Britainisgreat.com (500,000 views to date)
- Series of welcome training courses for York members to participate in (Run by Capela China)
- Investment in a programme to build up Mandarin speaking guides available in York. One guide is now qualified via the York Guild of Tour Guides. Plus Beiwei 55, who provide native British Mandarin- speaking guides in York and across the UK.
- Continue to build up our Chinese operator database for targeting (100 operators to date)
CAISSA, U-tour, GZL, Guangdong Nanhu Int, China Bamboo Garden and China Holidays now featuring York in their regular programmes.
OTAs – featuring York and York Pass include CTrip, UKubang, Linktour and Tuniu.
Destination Britain China event (Shanghai 21-23 November 2016)
York and Castle Howard attended the VisitBritain sales mission meeting with over 90 buyers from China.
Dedicated translated Chinese trade toolkit – key partner content loaded up onto USB sticks and given to all our one to one appointments
Destination Britain China directory – DPS spread in agent / operator sales guide
Visit York has set up accounts for Weibo (over 7,000 followers) and Wechat (1,600 followers): the preferred methods of communication in China with half a billion users signed up to these channels.
Creation of a new Mandarin landing page on visityork.cn to host all of our Mandarin content and create a portal page for Chinese visitors. Key partner information to be hosted on these pages in Mandarin.
For more information on Visit York’s China marketing activity or to enquire how you can get involved, contact Michelle Brown, Marketing Manager (Leisure) on 01904 554456 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
In October 2016 the Lord Mayor of York signed a new sister city agreement between Nanjing and York.
In March 2017 a delegation of 11 visitors from Nanjing came to visit York for the first time as part of the new programme of activity.
The Lord Mayor and Steve Brown, MD of Make It York signed a Memorandum of Understanding this time specifically for tourism.
5 officials from Nanjing and 6 businesses were present. The businesses also spent a morning networking with local York businesses to see which areas may benefit from sharing information and joint working.
The Chinese officials also visited Archbishop's Holgate School in York to look at opportunities in the education sector.
Watch this space for more news on the partnership going forwards.
For all enquiries, please contact the Visit York Business Engagement Team:
Tel: 01904 554650 | Email: email@example.com
Search for Suppliers
If you're looking for a York supplier, please use the form below to find Visit York members offering a range of business to business services.