Say cheese! Wallace and Gromit get packing for a holiday to York/
As the new champions for staycations in a campaign led by VisitEngland and supported by the home nation tourist boards of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, Wallace and Gromit will be visiting York as part of their own great English adventure.
Mirroring the television advertisement, which airs on 12 May, the intrepid duo are taking their trusted motorbike and sidecar for a road trip through our green and pleasant land, stopping in York on 26 April.
As well as taking time out to enjoy a spot of shopping in the Shambles and cheese-tasting at Henshelwoods Deli, Wallace and Gromit will also be at York Minster between 4-6pm on Friday 26 April.
Come along to meet them, have your photo taken with the motorbike and sidecar and enter a competition to give Gromit a new look! The design that best represents York will be painted onto a Gromit statue which will be auctioned in October to raise money for Wallace & Gromit’s Grand Appeal.
Nick Park, Creator and Director of Wallace and Gromit said:
“Leisure time has always been very important to Wallace & Gromit, so it’s great to see them making this holiday choice. A nice cup of tea and some tasty local cheese is always a favourite so they won’t be disappointed with their holiday in the UK.”
Lady Cobham, VisitEngland’s Chairman said:
“As such great advocates for English produce, namely cheese, Wallace & Gromit will have a fantastic time in York. The city was recently named Britain’s best gastro destination by Tripadvisor and they’ll no doubt enjoy strolling through the outdoor markets, visiting the independent delis and tasting local produce.”
Jane Lady Gibson, Chairman of Visit York, said, "We’re delighted to work with Visit England on this exciting new marketing drive, reminding Britons of just what’s on their doorstep. This new campaign will also help to encourage longer stays in the city to explore Yorkshire’s national parks and coast. I’m looking forward to welcoming Wallace and Gromit and we’ll be sure they leave with a special gift of their favourite tastiest Wensleydale."
This campaign forms part of Holidays at Home are GREAT, a pan-UK government funded strategy which launched last year. Designed to boost domestic tourism, the campaign should aim to raise £80m in additional tourism spend and over a million overnight stays. ‘Great Adventure’ aims to inspire Britons to book a holiday through their local travel agent. VisitEngland is working with a number of high street travel agents and operators across the country who will be putting together exciting British holiday packages for Wallace and Gromit and the rest of their customers.
For more information, visit www.yourgreatadventure.co.uk.
Lady Cobham will be visiting York on Friday 26 April, when she will be available for interviews. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to organise.
Rebecca Holloway / Laura Smith / Mark McCulloch
VisitEngland Press Office
Tel: 020 7578 1429 / 020 7578 1437 / 020 7578 1446
Email: Rebecca.email@example.com/ Laura.Smith@visitengland.org/ Mark.McCulloch@visitengland.org
• The home nation tourist boards include: VisitScotland, VisitWales and Northern Ireland Tourist Board.
• The TV ad will start on 12 May and run for 2 months and will reflect the GREAT branding launched last year by the Prime Minister.
• The ad will run on TV, in cinemas, Video on Demand, Digital Online Display and Out of Home.
• The campaign is funded by £2million of additional funding from the Government and £2m in-kind support from operators and travel agents.
• Tour operators and travel agents involved in the campaign will be announced soon.
• Travel trade activity will continue until September.
• The first Holidays at Home are GREAT campaign launched in 2012 with a TV ad and accompanying website offering offers on thousands of holidays throughout the country. Over £60m in incremental spend was generated by the www.great2012offers.com website and a further £240m was generated by the TV ad. Based on an average spending of £66 per night on English Holidays, this £300m equates to over 4.5million nights away.
• VisitEngland is the country’s national tourist board. We work in partnership with the industry to develop the visitor experience across England, plan national tourism strategy, grow the value of tourism in England and provide advocacy for the industry and our visitors
• Our work is underpinned by robust research and customer insights. You can access the latest in-depth market intelligence and statistics on www.visitengland.org/insight-statistics
• VisitEngland markets England under the Enjoy England consumer brand in the domestic market and markets England under the VisitEngland brand internationally
Aardman, based in Bristol (UK) co-founded and run by Peter Lord and David Sproxton, is a world leader in animation. It produces feature films, television series, television commercials and digital entertainment for both the domestic and international market. Their multi-award winning productions are novel, entertaining, brilliantly characterised and full of charm that reflects the unique talent, energy and personal commitment of the very special people who make up the Aardman team. The studio’s work is often imitated and yet the company continues to lead the field producing a rare brand of visually stunning and amusing independent and commercials productions. www.aardman.com
About Wallace & Gromit’s Grand Appeal
Multi-award winning Bristol Children’s Hospital Charity, Wallace & Gromit’s Grand Appeal has raised over £22 million in support of sick children and babies in the children’s hospital and the Special Care Baby Unit at St Michael’s Hospital in Bristol.
Founded in 1995, the Appeal continually invests in pioneering medical facilities, care and equipment in Bristol Children’s Hospital as well as arts, music and play programmes and accommodation for families.
Find out how you can help by visiting www.grandappeal.org.uk
For all press and media enquiries, please contact our Communications Team:
Kay Hyde - Head of PR & Corporate Communications
Telephone : 01904 554451 | Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Katie Parsons - Senior Communications Executive
Telephone : 01904 554436 | Email : email@example.com
NOTE: If you are a visitor or have a general enquiry, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01904 550099.