The spotlight will be turned on York’s tourism stars at this year’s York Tourism Awards in May. And the search is now on to find the ‘best of the best’ amongst York’s tourism businesses. So if you provide a great visitor experience, have high quality accommodation, serve delicious food or beautifully conditioned ales, run a gem of a shop, have a website which delivers the business or have the wow factor in customer service and have a real pride in your business then Visit York needs to hear from you.
This week businesses from across the city; from hotels to restaurants, pubs to visitor attractions are being encouraged to submit their entries before applications are closed. The annual tourism awards recognise the cream of the crop in tourism across the city.
The categories are: Hotel of the Year; Self-catering/Caravan Park of the Year; Conference Venue of the Year; Visitor Attraction of the Year (small); Visitor Attraction of the Year (Large); Outstanding Customer Service Award; Shopping Experience of the Year; Pub/Bar of the Year; Restaurant of the Year; Café/Tearoom of the Year; Visitor Experience of the Year; and the highly prestigious title of York Tourism Ambassador. A panel of independent judges will decide on the final shortlist and winners, through a mix of mystery shopping and rigorous analysis against the entry criteria.
Kate McMullen, Head of Visit York, said ‘The Visit York Tourism Awards are a great opportunity for York’s tourism businesses to showcase the high standards being achieved in our world-class city. In a growing global tourism market, it’s vitally important we recognise and acknowledge excellence to ensure York retains its competitive edge.’
More visitors book their holidays online than ever before and in recognition of the importance of a strong and influential presence online, ‘Tourism Website of the Year’ will be this year’s new category. Deadline for entries for all thirteen categories has been extended to Tuesday 25th February.
New this year is a public vote to decide on ‘York’s Best B&B’. Visit York has launched an online campaign to encourage York fans who have stayed in the city to vote for their favourite guesthouse. A nationwide Twitter campaign will attract votes using the hashtag #faveyorkbnb and votes can be made at www.facebook.com/visityork or www.twitter.com/visityork.
A Black Tie Awards ceremony announcing the tourism winners will be held on Thursday 8th May in the nostalgic and unique setting of Station Hall at the National Railway Museum. Businesses can enter the Visit York Tourism Awards online at www.visityork.org/awards. Winners will have the opportunity to then go forward to the regional White Rose Awards and national VisitEngland Awards for Excellence.
Kay Hyde – Head of PR and Communications – Visit York
Direct Line: 01904 554451
Mobile: 07506 048852
Katie Parsons – Senior Communications Executive – Visit York
Direct Line: 01904 554436
Visit York Tourism Ambassador Award
This award goes to an individual who consistently goes out of his or her way to ‘fly the flag’ for tourism in York. The 2013 winner was Damian Cruden, Artistic Director at the York Theatre Royal, who with a strong belief in the power of storytelling has brought York stories to life, helping to put the city on an international stage.
2013 Visit York Tourism Award Winners
• Hotel of the Year, Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
• Guest Accommodation of the Year, Bishops
• Self-catering/Caravan Park of the Year, Robin Hood Caravan Park
• Restaurant of the Year, The Oak Room at Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
• Café/Tearoom of the Year, York Cocoa House
• Visitor Attraction of the Year, Beningbrough Hall & Gardens
• Visitor Experience of the Year, York Mystery Plays 2012
• Shopping Experience of the Year, Hotel Chocolat York
• Marketing Campaign of the Year, Unlocking the Frankel Factor – York Racecourse
• Conference Venue of the Year, National Railway Museum
• Outstanding Customer Service Award, Alexandra Claydon & Samantha de la Tour – Now and Then Events
• Pub/Bar of the Year – The People’s Choice Award, The Golden Fleece
• York Tourism Ambassador, Damian Cruden – York Theatre Royal
About Visit York
• Visit York is supported by the City of York Council and over 700 tourism businesses and works in partnership with VisitEngland.
• Visit York’s aim is to market York as a must-see world-class destination to the leisure and business visitor, and ensure investment to develop the quality of tourism in York. Visit York is responsible for leisure and conference marketing, visitor services (running the city’s Visitor Information Centre), training and ensuring a quality visitor experience.
• Visit York is the driving force of the city’s tourism industry. Key facts:
7 million visitors annually, £606 million total visitor spend, supporting 20,000 jobs
For all press and media enquiries, please contact our Communications Team:
Kay Hyde - Head of PR & Corporate Communications
Telephone : 01904 554451 | Email : email@example.com
Katie Parsons - Senior Communications Executive
Telephone : 01904 554436 | Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: If you are a visitor or have a general enquiry, please email email@example.com or call 01904 550099.