Sixty free attractions and events will be on offer for York residents to help cheer up the January blues next year. Visit York is encouraging York residents to explore what’s on their doorstep when the 19th York Residents’ Festival takes place on Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th January 2014.
Organised by Visit York in partnership with the City of York Council and sponsored by First, the 2014 event is set to give residents free access to a host of York’s most celebrated attractions, one-off behind-the-scenes access to some of the city’s hidden gems, special events and restaurant deals.
With fifteen new attractions and events and eight new restaurant offers, the 19th festival will offer residents exclusive access to around ninety of York’s top visitor venues, experiences and eateries. This annual event is organised as a thank you to York’s residents for the warm welcome they give to York’s seven million global visitors each year.
Kate McMullen, Head of Visit York, said ‘The 2014 York Residents’ Festival kick starts what is set to be an action-packed year. As well as our world class attractions, festivals programme, superb shopping and gastro scene, it is the warm and friendly welcome that draws visitors back year after year. This is our way of saying a big thank you to York’s residents.’
• Go behind the scenes and see Fairfax House as not usually seen during its deep-clean winter hibernation
• Take a guided tour of the world famous stained glass and Lady Chapel at All Saints North Street church
• Explore the hidden treasure Jacob’s Well, a small medieval building originally home of the chantry priests of Holy Trinity Priory
• Design a stained glass window at the Stained Glass Centre at St Martin-Cum-Gregory
• Get to know the Romans at the Roman Bath Museum
York residents will also be able to explore some of York’s award-winning out of town attractions with free entry to Beningbrough Hall, Gallery & Gardens, Castle Howard’s impressive grounds & parkland and Eden Camp Modern History Theme Museum in Malton. Kirklees Light Railway is offering York residents a free ride on Yorkshire’s biggest little railway throughout the weekend and on Saturday 25 January, Lost Earth Adventures are offering a free abseil at Brimham Rocks.
Exclusive dining deals, including some Buy One Get One Free offers and free starters or desserts will be available over the weekend too, amongst other offers.
• Bagel Nash
• Caffe Dell Opera 3
• Cakes d’Licious
• Côte Brasserie
• Junction Restaurant at the Holiday Inn
• Jaipur Spice
Cllr Sonja Crisp, Cabinet Member for Culture, Leisure and Tourism said, ‘This annual festival, created exclusively for York residents, is a fantastic way for those living in the city to experience award-winning visitor attractions, tours and restaurants. We hope that as many residents as possible take part and enjoy what the city has to offer, ahead of what is set to be an exciting year for York.’
Will Pearson, Business Manager for First in York, said: ‘First is proud to sponsor the York Residents Festival. As one of York's local bus providers, we are keen to help York’s community by supporting local initiatives for our valued customers.’
Pre-booking is required for some of the attractions and guided tours and some venues have limited tickets available – the advice is to plan your visits carefully in advance. Full details can be found on the Visit York website at www.visityork.org or by picking up a York Residents’ Festival leaflet from the Visit York Information Centre at 1 Museum Street (available from early January).
Residents need a YorkCard to gain admission at each venue, available from all of York’s public libraries. YorkCards have a £3 admin charge for adults but are free for under 18’s. The YorkCard also entitles residents to free or discounted entry to a range of leisure facilities and attractions in York throughout the year. A list of all participating attractions and restaurants can be found by visiting http://www.visityork.org/residentsfestival
Kay Hyde – Head of PR and Communications – Visit York
Direct Line: 01904 554451
Mobile: 07961 828092
Katie Parsons – Senior Communications Executive – Visit York
Direct Line: 01904 554436
• Visit York is supported by the City of York Council and over 700 tourism businesses and works in partnership with VisitEngland.
• Visit York’s aim is to market York as a must-see world-class destination to the leisure and business visitor, and ensure investment to develop the quality of tourism in York. Visit York is responsible for leisure and conference marketing, visitor services (running the city’s Visitor Information Centre), training and ensuring a quality visitor experience.
• Visit York is the driving force of the city’s tourism industry. Key facts:
7.1 million visitors, £443 million total visitor spend, 23, 000 jobs
For all press and media enquiries, please contact our Communications Team:
Kay Hyde - Head of PR & Corporate Communications
Telephone : 01904 554451 | Email : email@example.com
Katie Parsons - Senior Communications Executive
Telephone : 01904 554436 | Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: If you are a visitor or have a general enquiry, please email email@example.com or call 01904 550099.