Ever fancied exploring more of York’s hidden gems such as medieval Barley Hall, York’s only surviving Windmill at Holgate or the Henry VII Experience? Or are you keen to find out what conservation means for a place like York’s Treasurers’ House or discover more of Yorkshire’s great houses and gardens such as Beningbrough? These and many other special experiences are packed into the annual York Residents Festival programme.
The Residents’ Festival brochure has been officially launched this week by Will Pearson, Business Manager, First Bus and Head of Visit York, Kate McMullen. 20,000 copies of this free brochure are available at the Visit York Information Centre, 1 Museum Street, and across the city at libraries, Park & Ride sites and participating venues and attractions.
Over fifty free attractions and events will be on offer for York residents when the 20th York Residents’ Festival takes place on Saturday 31st January and Sunday 1st February 2015. Organised by Visit York in partnership with City of York Council and sponsored by First, the 2015 event will offer free entry to a host of York’s most celebrated attractions, one-off behind-the-scenes access to some of the city’s hidden gems, special events and some fantastic restaurant deals.
Throughout the weekend First will offer residents a £5 FirstDay Group ticket1 (discounted by a third) and available to purchase from the bus driver to residents with a valid YorkCard. A First bus will be positioned in St Helen’s Square offering free Wifi, as well as complimentary cup cakes and a free gift (on production of a First Bus ticket bought on the day and while stocks last), offering residents the chance to find out more about First Bus services.
Will Pearson, Business Manager for First in York, said: ‘We hope residents will take advantage of this packed programme of free events and travel into the city with First. We’re proud to support this superb local initiative, which offers local people the opportunity to re-discover all that York has to offer.’ With seventeen new attractions and events and ten new restaurant offers for 2015, this annual event is organised as a thank you to York’s residents for the warm welcome they give to York’s seven million global visitors each year.
Kate McMullen, Head of Visit York, said ‘We’re delighted to be celebrating twenty years of this free event. As well as our world class attractions, festivals programme, superb shopping and gastro scene, it’s the warm and friendly welcome that draws visitors back year after year. This is our way of saying a big thank you.’
New free additions for 2015 include:
• A selection of short films from the BAFTA qualifying Aesthetica Short Film Festival – at Kings Manor
• A chance to see behind the scenes at the National Trust Treasurer’s House
• Behind the scenes tours at York City Football Club
Residents will also be able to explore some of York’s award-winning out of town attractions with free entry to Beningbrough Hall, Gallery & Gardens, Castle Howard’s impressive grounds & parkland and Eden Camp Modern History Theme Museum in Malton.
New out of town free additions for 2015 include:
• The 18th century restored Howsham Mill
• The International Centre for Birds of Prey, at Duncombe Park, Helmsley
• Karting and GPXperience Simulator at York MotorSports Village (pre-booking required)
Exclusive dining deals, including some Buy One Get One Free offers and free starters or desserts will be available over the weekend too, amongst other offers.
Eateries new to the Residents’ Festival line up for 2015 are:
• Côte Brasserie, Low Petergate
• Hudson’s Restaurant – The Grand Hotel & Spa, Station Rise
• The Judges Lodging, Lendal
• Walmgate Ale House and Bistro
• York Cocoa House, Blake Street
The 2015 festival features offers from twelve retailers:
• Bradley’s Jewellers, Low Petergate - 15% discount on diamonds and coloured gems
• Cleggs, Goodramgate - 10% discounts (excludes greeting cards)
• Cuffs & Co, Shambles – Any two cufflinks (standard range) for £30, usual price £38
• Get Cycling, Hospital Fields Road – 10% discount
• Jack Wolfskin, Lendal – Free vouchers in multiplies of £25, for example, spend £200 and receive a free £50 voucher
• Leia Lingerie, Spurriergate – 20% discount and 10% discount continues into February
• Linley and Simpson, Micklegate – Book a valuation for February and receive a £20 M&S gift card, plus other special offers (pre-booking required)
• Neal’s Yard Remedies, Low Petergate – 15% discount in store (excludes sale items and gift vouchers) and on selected treatments
• Palenque Jewellery, Low Petergate – 10% discount (excludes wedding rings)
• The North Face, Low Petergate – 20% discount (excludes sale items)
• Timberland, Low Petergate – 20% discount (excludes sale items)
• VOM FASS, Low Petergate – when you buy 400ml, get 100ml free
Pre-booking is required for some of the attractions and guided tours and some venues have limited tickets available – the advice is to plan your visits carefully in advance.
Residents need to show a YorkCard to gain admission at each venue and for all shopping and restaurant offers, available from Explore York Libraries – check your nearest at www.exploreyork.org.uk. YorkCards have a £3 admin charge for adults and are free for under 18’s. The YorkCard also entitles residents to free or discounted entry to a range of leisure facilities and attractions in York throughout the year.
As well as collecting a free brochure from the Visitor Centre at 1 Museum Street, you can read about all participating attractions and restaurants by visiting www.visityork.org/residentsfestival.
For further information please contact:
Kay Hyde – Head of PR and Communications – Visit York
Direct Line: 01904 554451
Mobile: 07506 048852
Katie Parsons – Senior Communications Executive – Visit York
Direct Line: 01904 554436
For all press and media enquiries, please contact our Communications Team:
Kay Hyde - Head of PR & Corporate Communications
Telephone : 01904 554451 | Email : email@example.com
Katie Parsons - Senior Communications Executive
Telephone : 01904 554436 | Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: If you are a visitor or have a general enquiry, please email email@example.com or call 01904 550099.