News release - Issued by JORVIK Group
15-21 February 2016, York
Vikings may have needed coins and precious metals to trade when they arrived in England 1150 years ago, but visitors to this year’s JORVIK Viking Festival can enjoy a host of Norse-themed events without having to dip into their purses!
“Part of our mission is to share our knowledge about the Vikings and the history of our ancestors here in York, so this year, we’ve got a host of events and activities for the whole family which are completely free of charge,” comments Festival director, Danielle Daglan. “From our steading, where children can meet some of the animals that would have been farmed here by Viking settlers, to the encampments, they can chat to historic interpreters about Viking life and hear tales of the Norsemen from our Viking skalds, plus of course, the grand parade of hundreds of Vikings through the city centre on the final Saturday is a must-see spectacular.”
Free highlights in the 2016 JORVIK Viking Festival include:
• Coppergate Camp, 13-20 February, 10.00am to 4.00pm – a chance to chat to Viking seafarers in one of the most important places in Viking York – Coppergate, where some of the world’s best preserved Viking artefacts were unearthed! Meet Viking merchants, and make an appointment to see the Cunning Woman, who will prescribe treatments for any aches, pains or wounds!
• City Camp, 15-20 February, Parliament Street, 10.00am to 4.00pm – a longship kitted out for war, warriors in their encampment, and a story tent where you can hear tales of the first ruler of the North Sea Empire, King Canute!
• Animal Steading, alongside City Camp, Monday 15 – Saturday 20 February in Parliament Street: meet the kind of animals that the Vikings would have reared in their yards in the city centre, from sheep and goats to chickens in a city farm with a distinctly Norse feel!
• Craft & Play The Viking Way, Monday 15 – Wednesday 17 February, 10.30am to 4.00pm, Parliament Street marquee – games and craft activities (a small charge may apply for some activities) undercover in a special Viking marquee.
• March to Coppergate, Saturday 20 February, 1.30pm – join the army of Viking warriors as they depart from Dean’s Park (next to York Minster) and parade through the city streets to arrive in Coppergate.
• Best beard competition, Saturday 20 February, 3.00pm at City Camp, Parliament Street. The best things in life are free, including facial hair! Join us to watch, or take part in, the greatest Viking beard competition this side of Copenhagen! Men, women and children are welcome to watch and enter – with real and synthetic beards eligible!
For further details on events during the JORVIK Viking Festival 2016, please visit www.jorvik-viking-festival.co.uk
For further media information or photographs, please contact:
Pyper York Limited
Tel: 01904 500698
For all press and media enquiries, please contact our Communications Team:
Kay Hyde - Head of PR & Corporate Communications
Telephone : 01904 554451 | Email : email@example.com
Katie Parsons - Senior Communications Executive
Telephone : 01904 554436 | Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: If you are a visitor or have a general enquiry, please email email@example.com or call 01904 550099.