York prepares to be amazed as six professional street performers have been chosen to wow audiences at Buskival in York on Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 May. Following the success of last year’s festival, some of the world’s best performers have been asked to perform at the event alongside local buskers.
The selected line-up is confirmed as follows:
• The Great Dave is a juggler with a difference. Obessed with the English tradition of tea, milk and 2 sugars, 3 metres in the air and on one wheel.
• Dynamike’s warm up is speed chainsaw juggling – his big finale involves riding a tall unicycle and juggling 3 sharp machete knives.
• Kiki Bittovabitsch is a champion physical comedian, contortionist, cat and audience herder.
• Rob Roy Collins is a Guinness World Record holder and one of the UK’s leading escape artists, combining balance, acrobatics, and escapology with a natural sense of humour, comic timing and showmanship.
• Pete Dobbing, whilst balancing on an unsupported 10ft ladder, has mastered the ultimate retro challenge - a Rubiks cube solved in 90 seconds.
• Victor Rubilar holds 5 Guinness World Records and specialises in juggling with up to five footballs, comedy and dance.
Councillor Sonja Crisp, Cabinet member for Leisure, Culture and Tourism said: “This year the line-up will be joined by a number of roaming artists, including Betty Balloon, Marie Antoinette, Robot Rock and Sergeant Majors who will move around the city entertaining residents and visitors alike. Buskival is a family friendly event attracting local, national and international street performers. Once again we welcome all sorts of amazing, top quality entertainment which will give York a fun and friendly atmosphere during the bank holiday weekend."
After the first day’s performances the professional buskers will be invited to share their experience and expertise with local street performers at a networking event on Saturday evening. The public will have their chance to learn new skills in a circus skills workshop which takes place in Parliament Street from 11am to 4pm on Saturday and 12noon to 5pm on Sunday. The workshop is free and no advance booking is necessary.
Brands-for-less homeware retailer HomeSense, located on Foss Islands Road, is again sponsoring the free event. "We are very excited to be part of Buskival again this year to celebrate the unique, diverse and thoroughly entertaining musical talent in our local community" said HomeSense store manager Richard Andrews.
Buskival takes place from 11am to 7pm on Saturday 25 May and from 12noon to 5pm on Sunday 26 May. For more information about Buskival visit www.yorkfestivals.com, www.facebook.com/Buskival or follow @York_Festivals on twitter.
For more information on busking in York contact Debbie Bell, City of York Council, email@example.com or call 01904 552270.
Rob Roy Collins and Robot Rock will be at St Helen’s Square at 2.30pm on Thursday 16 May. Rob Roy Collins will be tied in handcuffs and chains being pulled along by giant Robot Rock.
HomeSense launched in the UK in April 2008 and has 24 stores in the UK.
HomeSense operates a unique “off-price” concept which offers quality and branded homeware for less than the recommended retail price. These savings are passed on to customers through a combination of opportunistic buying, established relationships with manufacturers and simple, no-frills operation HomeSense is part of TJX Europe, a subsidiary of TJX Companies, Inc. Find your nearest store and loads more information at www.homesense.com
• Create jobs and grow the economy
• Get York moving
• Build strong communities
• Protect vulnerable people
• Protect the environment
The council’s cabinet member for Leisure, Culture and Tourism is Councillor Sonja Crisp on 07876 176931
Communications & Media
City of York Council
Tel: 01904 553383
Fax: 01904 551064
Mob/out of hours: 07767318082
For all press and media enquiries, please contact our Communications Team:
Kay Hyde - Head of PR & Corporate Communications
Telephone : 01904 554451 | Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Katie Parsons - Senior Communications Executive
Telephone : 01904 554436 | Email : email@example.com
NOTE: If you are a visitor or have a general enquiry, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01904 550099.