The Park Inn by Radisson York hotel has been awarded the Silver rating by the Green Tourism Business Scheme (GTBS).
GTBS is the UK’s leading sustainable tourism certification scheme which recognizes and rates hotels and tourism businesses demonstrating high levels of commitment in protecting the environment and promoting sustainable tourism with bronze, silver and gold awards.
In order to get the Silver rating, the hotel had to demonstrate the efforts it has made to be environmentally aware. Judges visited the hotel to assess the ways in which the hotel is responsible and agreed to pass the prominent Silver level of the GTBS.
“We are delighted to win this award. This is fantastic recognition for the hard work our team puts in to being a responsible and green business”, remarks Sally Hughes, General Manager. “Within the Park Inn by Radisson York and across all of our sister properties throughout the world, we are committed to sustainable tourism and minimising damage to the environment. As part of our ambitious Think Planet project, the hotel is targeted to reduce energy consumption by 25% by 2016.”
The Park Inn by Radisson York enforces a company-wide Responsible Business programme passionately by making a conscious decision in favour of the environment and social issues, not just in the hotel business life but also privately too.
Some of the ways in which the Park Inn by Radisson York acts responsibly include:
• Low energy lighting installed throughout the hotel and external lighting and signage fitted with light sensors.
• Flow restrictors have been fitted to all showers and taps, saving six litres of water per minute.
• E-Cube installed to refrigeration units, ensuring huge savings on energy consumption.
• Active quarterly “Green meetings” attended by hotel staff.
• Towel & Linen recycling Programme.
• Introduction of organic and fair trade teas and coffees.
• All employees attend a mandatory Responsible Business training programme
As well as boasting a new eco-label, the centrally located hotel is also sporting a stylish new look following a recent transformation. In 2013, over £600,000 was invested to transform the hotel’s lobby, bar and meeting space. With floor to ceiling windows and stunning river views, the bar is the ideal place to relax and unwind, have a coffee and catch-up, or after work cocktail.